2019 Dive Team Info
About the Montgomery County Dive League
The Montgomery County Dive League is a developmental dive league designed to provide young divers with the opportunity to learn new skills, enhance previous achievements, and develop as strong league leaders, while having fun.
The MCDL is grounded on two fundamental principles; safety and sportsmanship.
Divers compete against other children of the same age in several categories, divided by boys and girls: 8 & Under, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, and 15-18.
The divers learn the basic front and back jumps and dives, and then more complicated somersault, reverse, inward and twisting dives. Points are awarded to the teams for their first-, second-,and third- place finishes within each age group.
Carderock Dive Team
Dive team is for children and young adults from 5-18 years old. No prior diving experience necessary. The Carderock Dive Coaches will work with new divers to teach them to safely perform basic dives, and then work with them daily to strengthen the execution of their dives.
Registration is open now. Divers may also join swim team provided they meet the swim team eligibility requirements or pre-team.
***MANDATORY PARENT MEETING - Thursday, May 30th@5:00pm - clubhouse
2019 Practices Schedule -
May 28 - June 14; Monday - Friday
4:15-5:00 8 and under
5:00-5:45 9-10 year olds
5:45-6:30 11-12 year olds
6:30-7:00 13-18 year olds
June 17 - July 19; Monday - Friday
4:00-4:45 9-10 year olds
4:45-5:30 8 and under
5:30-6:15 11-12 year olds
6:15-7:00 13 and up (on Fridays, 13 and up will combine with 11-12)
Pep Rallies Fridays June 14th - July 12th 6:15pm
****NOTE June 14th - July 12th, practice will end at 6:15 for pep rallies.
Divers should attend the practice for their age group. If a child is unable to practice during their scheduled practice time, parent may coordinate with coach a different practice time.
Divers who qualify for divisionals/all stars will continue practicing until July 23rd.
Registration fee: $175 for the season.
Registration closes June 3.
Parent Involvement MCDL is a VOLUNTEER run league. We need the help of all parents to help the program run smoothly. Each meet needs a referee, 5 judges, 4 table workers, and an announcer. Parent Volunteers are essential to make the meets happen! Please note that each family is required to volunteer a minimum of 2 times each season. Each roll listed below fulfills 1 of the required slots. In order to have a successful season, we need parent volunteers for the following
- Meet Referee - Instructs judges and coaches before the meet. Makes decisions relative to execution of dives in line with rule book. (Referee clinics are offered pre-season to become certified.)
- Meet Judge - Scores each dive. No previous diving experience necessary. Judges will be trained! (Judging clinics are offered pre-season to become certified.)
- Meet Table Worker - Inspects dive sheets for accuracy, records judges scores, computes scores. (No official training required)
- Meet Announcer - Announces diver, dive number, the dive, the position, and degree of difficulty.
- Team Photographer/Slide Show Creator - take pictures throughout the season to show at the banquet.
- Banquet Committee - Coordinate with the club for the banquet; arrange for food; coordination with coach for banquet agenda.
- Swim and Dive Social Volunteer - Works with swim team on planning and execution of social events to promote team unity.
- Grill Master - Perform grilling duties at our team bbq immediately following the mock meet.
Judges/Referees Clinic Schedule - See Officials Training tab
2019 DIVE MEET SCHEDULE (mark availability by Thursday at 2:00pm for the following Sunday Dive Meet)
June 9th, 10 am - Home Exhibition meet (only Carderock divers); Warm-ups at 9am
Dive Team BBQ immediately following meet
Dual meets 4pm | warm ups for home meets at 3pm | warm ups for away meets at 3:30pm
June 16th, 4pm - Away Meet @ Potomac Woods
June 23, 4pm Home Meet vs. Palisades
June 30th, 4pm - Away Meet @ Manor Woods
July 7th, 4pm - Home Meet vs. North Chevy Chase
July 14th, 4 pm - Home Meet vs. Little Falls (non division meet)
July 21st, 8am - Divisional Championship Meet - Palisades pool
July 24th, 3pm - MCDL All-Stars 12 and under - TBD
July 26th 3pm - MCDL All-Stars 13-18 year olds - TBD
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES
May 5th, 3-5pm – Open House/Swim Suit Vendor at Carderock
June 6th, 5-7:30pm - Swim Suit Vendor at Carderock
July 21st – Dive Team Banquet
What dives are required?
How are dives scored?
What are the different parts of the dive that are scored?
What should a dive look like?
What are the degrees of difficulty of the dives?
For answers to these questions, click on the MCDL handbook. ***note-we will update this link when MCDL finalizes the 2019 edition.
DIVE TEAM REPS
Kristen Swiggett - firstname.lastname@example.org
Amie O'Donoghue -email@example.com